Nature of handicap of patient with brain lesions
1. Neurophysiological considerations.
- The physical handicap resulting from a lesion of the upper motor neuron is seen in terms of an interference of normal postural control.
- We are dealing with abnormal coordination of motor patterns.
- If we speak of ‘patterns of coordination’, we mean the pattern of normal& abnormal postural control against gravity.
2. The fundamental problem
- Abnormal patterns of coordination in posture & movement
- Abnormal qualities of postural tone
- Reciprocal innervations.
3. Abnormal postural reflex activity
- Associated reactions
- The effect of released asymmetrical tonic neck reflex activity.
- The effect of released positive supporting reaction.