EVIDENCES OF CEREBRAL PALSY MANAGEMENT
Author of article:
DR. GAJANAN BHALERAO (PT), PhD Scholor, MPTH NEURO, Certified Adult NDT therapist. HOD Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Dept in Sancheti Hospital Shivajinagar Pune
Associate Professor & HOD PT in Neuro Rehabilitation DEPT at Sancheti Institute College of Physiotherapy, Shivajinagar Pune
- What is evidence based practice?
- What is the need for it?
- What is Level of evidence?
- How to read a evidence, interpret and apply in clinical practice?
- What are the evidences in management of cerebral palsy?
- Which are the of evidence requires more evidence & why?
Evidence Based Practice
- Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) is a thoughtful integration of the best available evidence, coupled with clinical expertise.
- An approach to decision making in which the clinician uses the best available evidence to decide which treatment option suits the patient.
- Addresses healthcare questions with an evaluative and quantitative approach.
LEVEL OF EVIDENCE
|LEVEL I||Randomized Control Trial (RCT)|
Systematic Review (with homogeneity*) of RCTsLEVEL IICohort study /low
Systematic Review (with homogeneity*) of cohortLEVEL IIICase-Control Study (CCT)
Systematic Review (with homogeneity*) of case control StudiesLEVEL IVCase-series (and poor quality cohort
and case-control studies)LEVEL VExpert opinion
For the child with CP the main aim of therapy should be to improve their quality of life with three general aims of:
1) Increasing or improving the skill repertoire
2) Maintaining functional level and general management
3) Minimization of musculoskeletal impairments contractures and deformities.
Common interventions usually address
- Reduction of the effects of abnormal muscle/postural tone,
- Musculoskeletal problems (muscle weakness and muscle length),
- Working for activity in a functional context
- Providing opportunities for practice.
- Activity-based approaches aim to prevent secondary musculoskeletal impairments and maximise physical functioning, foster cognitive, social and emotional development of the child and develop, maintain and perhaps restore neural structures and pathways.
Topic to be covered in the article are
3.Treadmill training; 6 articles (all studies)
12.Frequency of physiotherapy; 4 articles (all studies)
for details please click here EVIDENCE BASED MANAGEMENT OF CP
also check these attachment